2007-03-14

fm3 buddha at work

  • Buddha machine
    A while ago I simply posted about my desire for possessing one of these nifty Eastern gadgets.

    INSERT PHOTOO HERE


    Update: I ordered one from Giant Robot when I renewed my subscription. After 2 hours of harmonic bliss, I tried setting it upright on my work desk and it suddenly sped up the playback and the volume went up about 10db! Oh Buddha! I frackin broke it!? Well, I went to work and did what any good geek would do. I cracked it open and pulled the pieces apart to see what's going on. Turns out the speaker had just shifted ever so slightly. In simple terms, two pieces of metal that probably should not be touching were now touching (one of which is a piece of the speaker that caused the crazy distortions). I guess these things are pretty damn delicate. I believe mine is second generation so maybe they have cut production costs. It has worked fine for the rest of the day but I can't see it lasting as long as my iPod Nano if this is what happens on the first day. (though I must admit, my iPod had a much worse first day! A mäelström run through the washing machine was the end of that relationship). Another neat feature is that it comes with both batteries and a DC power jack. It just so happens that my new USB hub came with the exact kind of DC adapter needed for the Buddha Machine. I really had not needed it for the USB hub since the hub so far has just been for dongle keys that require so little juice. Overall I am very happy with it.

    Happy New Year!
  • 0 Commentaries:

    Post a Comment

    << Home